Friday, January 29, 2016

Hi I'm Barbie!

My recent news feed has been flooded with Barbie. Many may say that is childish, and I normally have no opposition to Barbie. The article reads that they have made Barbie more diverse. She is taller, shorter, different colors, and God knows heavier because there is no way she is getting skinnier. I am glad that over the past few years diversity has been pushed for, but as an avid Barbie consumer this is ridiculous. In my childhood i owned the dream house, the jeep, the plane, and my mother said she once counted how many I had and it was roughly 300. My demographic is caucasian, over weight, and brunette. Barbie looks nothing like me. I look more like a cabbage patch kid that was caught on fire, but I was never inclined to look like Barbie. The reason there has been a push for diversity in Barbie's looks is because parents believe that Barbie will give their children unrealistic expectations on body image. To those people I say stop being so damn sensitive. Barbie is an iconic image like Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe, and no one ever asked them to change because their looks were unobtainable and little girls were struggling with self image. I never threw up to look like Barbie or beg for blonde hair. Instead of these parents complaining about how Barbie doesn't look realistic maybe they should take a look at all of the Disney princesses. On top of that instead of trying to change everything, I suggest to you to teach your daughter or son the difference between reality and make believe. All of the children I grew up with never had a problem growing up because they didn't look like their childhood toy, and yours shouldn't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment