Thursday, March 10, 2016

Reflection on explanatory synthesis

I am in the middle of a process of writing a paper that it both within and stepping out of the bonds of my domain. I chose to do it about political bias, because a recent pet peeve of mine has been people getting all of their information for this upcoming election on social media. Many people fail to see that all of the articles and pictures they read are filled with bias. Their whole purpose is to change one's opinion to get one to vote for who the sender wants you to. It is outside of my domain, because I am apolitical for the most part. I began my paper with the three topics I wanted to discuss, and after I decided that they were concrete I progressed to finding sources to back my claims. I then filled in all of the other information. It has been a difficult process with reviewing, because most of the time we are just asked to answer abstract questions about our peer paper, as opposed to correcting content and grammar. It is even more difficult, since we are all new to the APA style. One thing I wish I did was learn APA before I began the writing  process as opposed to the tedious process of transitioning in. I am well aware that my paper is flawed and I have a long way to go before the final draft will be turned in, but one concern I have about my peers papers is their papers are just long lists of quotes and paraphrases as opposed to having sources support their words. I always learn to start a quote or citation with who said it, why they are relevant to your topic and then you insert the quote. Following the quote, one needs to dissect their quotation and say what it means and how it supports their topic. I shall miserably continue my treacherous pursuit of learning APA, because in the near future, I have a nursing degree to work towards. After reviewing my final draft, and overseeing my original design plan and outline, I noticed I followed my design plan start to finish. I did spice it up a little, but I followed the order i intended. One thing that I wish I could have done differently on my papers is after describing how to defeat political bias I wanted to explain different views of the popular political candidates. My paper could have gone on for pages, but I would have liked to incorporate, in an unbiased way, the popular candidates views, so the reader could make a decision for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment