Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Vitamin D Deficiency

This winter hasn't been harsh because of a large amount of snowfall. It has be harsh in the context of the bitter cold. In winter many people find themselves feeling blue, not from hypothermia, but from a lack of vitamin D. In the summer, this deficiency is not as pronounced as it is in the winter. Many people get their vitamin D from catching sun over the summer. They lack of this vitamin leaves people feeling depressed and more likely to look out the window of a moving car listening to sad music and pretending their life is a Nicolas Sparks worthy music video. Yesterday was one of the first days I was able to walk comfortably outside with a tank top on. Maybe no one wants to see me in one, but to bad. My cousin spent the night and her mom picked her up after she attended my psychology class. After she left it was so beautiful out that I didn't feel like "reclusing" myself in my dorm room as I usually do. I walked over to the only semi-decent food place on campus and decided to change up my order for once. I got a grilled cheese with mayo on tomato bread instead of french. I know that sounds wild. I also deviated from my normal schedule and instead of eating at the second from the right of the window, I took my sandwich outside. I walked until I found a picnic table. I sat their alone enjoying my sandwich and realized something. Though chemically I am unhappy due to a vitamin D deficiency, I am unhappy because of my schedule. Changing my predictable cycle to something new made me feel reborn, Even though I only changed the bread on my sandwhich and ate among the tree as opposed to my peer I felt enlightened. We are not the sun or a period. We are human, and not meant to cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment